As we become more aware of our environment and more aware of the products that we are putting into and onto our bodies, natural and homeopathic products are taking the cosmetic industry by storm.
It’s likely you’ve noticed new skincare and cosmetic companies popping up with ‘all natural’ and ‘organic’ products. Of course, just because they say they are, does not necessarily make it true. That is where consumer education comes in, and why it is so important.
The title of this article is ‘Mineral Makeup’. After learning what mineral makeup is, what products go into it, and what its benefits are, you can decide if this is the right choice for you.
What Is Mineral Makeup?
Mineral makeup is designed from all naturally occurring products. It is often recommended by dermatologists to women with sensitive skin, rosacea, post operative, laser and other procedures because of its intrinsic skin soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. It is a powder makeup of finely milled minerals. It can provide very sheer or very opaque coverage, depending on the formulation and application. However, it still allows natural skin radiance to show through, so you don’t get the dreaded ‘mask’ look. It is typically free of fragrance and preservatives. Minerals cannot feed bacteria, so there is no danger of spoilage, thus it needs no preservatives. It does not go bad. It is very good for oily skin because it has several oil- absorbing components.
It is usually applied with a brush, and is typically shown to be ‘buffed’ into the skin. This technique forces the makeup into your pores, which is never a good thing. A technique that works with better quality mineral makeup (which we’ll discuss later) is to ‘dust” the makeup on, instead of ‘buffing’ it. If a brush irritates your skin, you can also use a non-latex or flocked sponge. Application can be done either wet or dry.
What Are The Ingredients?
This is the most important part. Learning what is in your makeup will give you the ability to choose what will meet your needs best. These are the ingredients you will most likely come across.
• Titanium Dioxide- A white natural sunscreen and anti-inflammatory agent. It is highly reflect, with only a diamond being higher, and thus minimizes fine lines and some skin discolorations.
• Zinc Oxide- A natural sunscreen providing broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection.
• Sericite- A colorless mica that can be used to cut the opacity of Titanium Dioxide and also works as an oil absorber.
• Cornstarch/ Rice Powder- Cosmetic grade- An oil humectant (draws oil out of the pores). Can make acne worse as it is a source of food for bacteria.
• Kaolin Clay- Natural oil-absorption.
• Mica- Natural ‘glitter’. Provides shimmer and sparkle.
• Iron Oxides- Natural pigment- very opaque. Used for tinting cosmetics.
Ingredients To Avoid
These ingredients are also common, but can cause problems so are best to avoid.
• Talc/ Various Powders- Common fillers- can cause respiratory problems.
• FD&C Dyes- Derived from coal tar.
• Bismuth Oxychloride- Known skin irritant- causes itching, rashes and breakouts. Especially prevalent when the wearer sweats.
• Ferric Ferrocyanide- Controversial because of its suspected toxicity.
• Carmine- Crushed beetles.
What Brand Should I Buy?
Well, if you’re familiar with mineral makeup, it’s likely you’ve seen the infomercials. After further research you’ll find these companies use controversial ingredients, and charge quite a bit for their products.
There are several good mineral makeup companies out there that provide a much better product at a more affordable price, as well as a superior customer experience. They also offer samples, which the larger companies do not. You will get to try the makeup (unlike in the drugstore!) for a fraction of the cost before you buy it. They do not have expensive advertising and packaging to pay for, so the savings are often passed on to you.
Did you find this article useful? For more useful tips, hints, points to ponder and keep in mind, do please browse for more information at our websites.
Rachael is the CEO and Founder of Rachael Academy. The online educational business and entrepreneurial platform. Rachael passion is to see men and women fulfill their life long dream of starting their dream own business and start living life on their own terms. Find out more about Rachael here.